Alright, let's get focused on footwear.
One of my very first jobs was at Payless ShoeSource. A wonderful mecca of low-priced and equally low-quality footgear. With fingertip access and a generous discount, I ended up bringing home at least 40 pairs of shoes during my 1 year tenure.
Gimme a break, I was 19!
Unfortunately it hasn't stopped since then. I usually end up buying shoes that spark my interest (aka the dreaded impulse buy), shoes I liked at the time but would match literally nothing in my closet, and shoes that were a great price, but terrible quality.
I... don't make good decisions sometimes.
At it's largest, my shoe collection was at an out-of-control 50 pairs of shoes ranging from snow boots to stripper heels, from running shoes to "leather" boots, and flip flops to ballerinas that left me blistered and bleeding. I still have a pair of pumps that were comic book themed I purchased in 2002 and have worn all of one time. They slip off my heels when I walk, but look great!
Sigh.
It was finally time to let it go.
First, I decided to take a look at the shoes I really wear all the time.
Then I decided to evaluate what shoes I would need for any given situation I would find myself in normally.
Lastly I decided on the importance of keeping the shoe around "just in case".
1. THE FIRST STEP TO REDEMPTION
Pick out the shoes you wear all the time. Evaluate them. Are they about to fall apart? How many different situations or outfits would they work with? If they aren't versatile and they aren't good quality - replace them! For an everyday shoe - you should feel comfortable dropping some sweet cash money on something that will last.
My go-to shoe is an ankle boot with a slight heel I picked up at Aldo.
It looks a lot like this:
This shoe is awesome to walk in. I've even gone hiking in them in a pinch. They work for casual affairs as well as outfits that are a little spiffier.
Another few types of shoes I find myself using frequently are my flip flops and my vans. These are my more casual weekend shoes when I want to change it up.
I try to go for a classier style of flip flop like this one and avoid the cheap rubber kinds. I've learned my lesson with those Old Navy ones that I'll never forget... I'll save the story for some other time but I assure it includes pain, blood, and embarrassment.
So, let's count it up: 3 pairs of shoes I wear all the time. 50 minus 3 is.... naw let's not go there yet.
2. THE SECOND STEP TO REASONABLE FULFILLMENT
Everybody needs occasion shoes! Right?!
An occasion shoe is something you bring out for a certain situations or weather. Are you planning on getting some gardening done? There's a shoe for that. Are you sexing it up at a club tonight? There should be a shoe for that. Are you walking for 6 hours straight on a mountain today? There should definitely be a shoe for that.
Some shoes that I decided I needed for those occasions are:
- Classy sandals for nicer hot weather occasions.
- Black heels for fancy dress
- Nude heels also for fancy dress but with a summery vibe
- Knee high boots for winter
- Ugg boots for when I need to run to the laundry room (I use them like house shoes)
- Running shoes for the frightening workout regimen that follows my winter fattening routine, but also those times when I feel like I need to hack away at the plants trying to take over the sidewalk.
Alright, whew. That makes a total of 6 occasion shoes! Not bad... but the third portion of this exercise is always the hardest.
WHAT ABOUT THAT ONE TIME YOU NEEDED THAT PAIR OF SHOES AND EVERYTHING WAS RUINED BECAUSE YOU THREW THEM AWAY 3 MONTHS AGO??
AKA
3. THE LAST STEP TO SANITY
We've covered shoes we use daily, shoes we use occasionally, but what about the shoe you purchased for that one time you went to band camp and never used, but someday you might go back and then it would be silly to have thrown them out just to have to go buy another pair... right?
Well that's how we get into these silly "I'm the girl with 50 pairs of shoes that I don't wear" situations.
So let's be honest.
Evaluate each shoe individually with these criteria:
1. When is the last time this shoe would have been useful? Did you use it or did you decide to use another type of shoe to fill in?
If it's been more than 2 years since there was an occasion to use the shoe, or if the last time it might have been useful you decided to not use it, it's toss time.
2. Was the shoe terribly expensive?
I get it. Dropping major money on a shoe means that now you have to justify the expenditure by making the most out of that investment. However, if you bought those snowboard boots under the impression that you were going to just FALL IN LOVE with snowboarding 8 years ago and then never went to the snow again because you hate being cold and wet... it's time to say buh-bye. And who knows, if they are in good shape you might be able to recoup some of that investment by selling them online.
3. Is the shoe easily replaced if the rare situation comes up that you might need it?
If you are holding onto a pair of brand new river shoes on the off chance you'll be headed to a rocky beach where you might want to walk into the water without hurting your sensitive soles.. but they cost $10 at Target and you have no plans in the near distant future of doing such things.. sayonara!
I know most of you might feel a lot like Arya giving up Needle in that one episode of GoT, but the relaxation you'll feel when you can navigate your closet with ease will be just as satisfying as having a shoe for every dreamed up / made up occasion!
If you follow these guidelines, you should be well on your way towards a closet like this:
Instead of this:
Good luck and Godspeed.




No comments:
Post a Comment